[We will add more detailed information to this page as the conference approaches.]
ITP 2019 and its associated workshops will be held in the Engineering Building at Portland State University, located at
1930 SW 4th Ave.
Portland, OR 97201
The Portland State campus is located at the south end of downtown Portland and is well-served by mass transportation, including the MAX light rail, the Portland streetcar, and the Trimet bus system.
Here is an (incomplete) map of restaurants, etc. in the surrounding area.
The University Place Hotel, which is directly adjacent to the conference site, has a few rooms still available. They offer a preferential rate for attendees, which you can obtain by requesting the “PSU rate.” Currently this rate is
– $115 + 15.3% tax per night for a “standard” room (single king bed)
– $130 + 15.3% tax per night for a “comfort” room (single king bed or two double beds)
We do not recommend booking an “economy” room, as they do not seem to be well-maintained.
These rates include a full hot breakfast.
To obtain these rates, you must contact the hotel by phone at (+1) 503-221-0140 or 1-866-845-4647; choose option 1 for reservations, and say you want the “PSU rate”.
There are many other good hotels in downtown Portland within easy distance of the conference venue, which you can find on any of the usual booking websites, but most are significantly more expensive.
Portland International Airport has non-stop service from Amsterdam (Delta), London (Delta), Tokyo (Delta), Reykjavik (Icelandair), Frankfurt (Condor), and Toronto (Air Canada), as well as from most major US airports.
Getting to and from the airport
The airport is located 9 miles (14.5 km) northeast of downtown Portland. It is conveniently connected to the conference venue and University Place hotel via the MAX light rail ($2.50; about 50 minutes; one change required, from Red line to Orange or Green line). Taxis (about $40), uber/lyft (about $25) and
hotel shuttle van ($14) are also available.
Convenient parking is available:
– underneath the Engineering Building at 1900 SW 4th Ave. (Monday-Friday only, $13/day)
– in the University Place hotel lot at 310 SW Lincoln St. (all days, $13/day, $18/overnight)
The current forecast for ITP week is for high temperatures of 70-75F (21-24C) and lows of 55F (13C) with a small but definitely non-zero chance of rain at various points. So be sure to bring a light waterproof jacket.
Banquet and Excursion
The conference banquet and excursion will be held on board the Willamette Star, a small cruise boat that will sail up and down the Willamette River. As we said, be sure to bring a waterproof light jacket so that you can enjoy being outside during the cruise.
If you are not a citizen of the US, you may require a visa or visa waiver to attend the conference. See here for more information.
- Getting Here – Everything you need to know about arriving in Portland by plane or train.
- Getting Around – Traveling by light rail, streetcar, bus, bike, foot or car.
- Maps – Find maps of the city and region and specialized transportation maps.
- Food & Drink – America’s best food city (per the Washington Post) offers farm-to-table dining, innovative food carts, acclaimed craft beer, stellar coffee and more.
- One local take on our best restaurants. And another one. Note that while some of the best places are reserved months ahead, others don’t even take reservations, so you should find plenty of options.
- Activities & Attractions – Portland’s attractions range from gardens and museums to retailers of coffee, doughnuts and books; tax-free shopping, cycling and hiking top the to-do list.
- Neighborhoods & Regions – It’s easy and fun to explore Portland’s neighborhoods filled with cultural offerings, local retailers, restaurants and shopping.